Sunday, January 10, 2010


With all of Alanna's educational preamble, I thought I'd shed some light on what I've been doing to prepare for the big trip:

Saving Money

Since maybe the tenth grade I've been using a whiskey tube as a piggy bank, dropping a coin or two in whenever I've had some to spare. It got heavy, and in lieu of lugging it back to Victoria when we moved out, I popped it open:

Just shy of 180 bucks! not shabby.

Protecting Our Belongings

As a Christmas gift I sewed Alanna a fabric laptop case from an old sports coat. If Fagin owned a Dell, he'd be proud. Behold:

Familiarizing With Local Culture

Mainly via this link : Awesome Tapes From Africa, provided by a pal named Cody.

As far as I can tell it's a Brooklyn guy who seeks out cassettes of obscure musicians from all over Africa and makes them available on the interweb. There is a ton of stuff on here, just browsing the covers is worthwhile. I think my favourite of what I've heard is Karamoko Keita. I know everyone says the Blues originated in Africa, but a reminder every once in a while doesn't hurt.

For your dance parties, I preemptively request Ata Kak.

...And we're all ready to go! That's how it's done, folks.


Laura said...

Hopefully, Brad will be as successful as you...He's doing the same thing with my tank that I kept my pet newt in.

Anonymous said...

Hey, what did you do with my Whisky tube. Come to think of it, where did my Whisky go?

Post a Comment